Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head
But that doesn’t mean my eyes will soon be turnin’ red
Cryin’s not for me
‘Cause I’m never stop the rain by complainin’
Because I’m free
Nothin’s worryin’ me.
– B. J. Thomas
This weekend, Hurricane Harvey is keeping us all inside, and the raindrops are forecast to be falling on our heads for a while longer.
So, if you’re running low on ideas to pass the time indoors, here’s a fresh list of indoor fun!
1. Play UNO.
2. Drink coffee. Make it extra-special by using your French press, or making homemade peppermint mochas.
3. Play spoons!
4. Read a book. Now is the time to pull that classic off the shelf and dig in.
5. Give each other pedicures.
6. Bake cookies.
7. Catch up on your journal.
8. Make an online photo album.
9. Clean out a closet.
10. Give your dog a bath.
11. Turn on your favorite tunes and dance. Teach the kids to 2-step or do the Cotton-eye Joe, or if you’re really up for it, find a YouTube swing dance lesson and learn something new.
12. Start your memoirs.
13. Watch every James Bond movie.
14. Do a puppet show.
15. Build a blanket fort.
16. Play your clarinet. Or harmonica. Or piano.
18. Vacuum the furniture.
19. Fix a gourmet candlelight dinner.
20. Have an indoor picnic.
21. Get out the kids’ baby books and tell them stories about their birth. They love this.
22. Watch home videos.
25. Play charades.
26. Do yoga.
27. Turn off the tv and talk.
28. Clean the baseboards.
29. Put on your galoshes and walk in the rain to Starbucks.
30. Have an iPad tournament with educational games like Math Ninja. Reward winners with goofy prizes from your junk drawer.
31. Plan next summer’s vacation.
32. Do your Christmas shopping online.
33. Have afternoon high tea. Get out your fancy dishes and hold out your pinkies.
34. Play dress up. Let the kids dress up in your old prom dresses or bow ties and take pictures.
35. Weed out your Christmas decor.
36. Plan next week’s wardrobe.
37. Prepare a whole month’s worth of freezer meals.
38. Organize your tool and tackle boxes, and then plan your dream fishing trip.
39. This comes from our banker daughter: Search eBay for new boats and cars and trailers and wave runners, then call your banker and ask what term she can give you, what the payment would be, what’s the interest rate, etc. Then don’t buy it.
40. Write overdue thank you notes.
41. Write something encouraging on the timeline of every single one of your Facebook friends.
42. Call all your out-of-town relatives and catch up.
43. Teach your dog a new trick.
44. Make chili and invite someone over.
45. Make out your grocery list.
46. Update your Spotify and Pandora playlists.
47. Listen to motivational podcasts.
48. Memorize Bible verses with your grandkids.
49. Clean out your inbox.
50. Write notes to your local police department, firefighters, hospital staff, etc., and thank them for all they do to keep us safe!
Encouraging intentional adventure, even inside on a rainy day,
PS: What’s your favorite rainy day thing to do?